Views: 515
Hostel Courtyard of the Old Campus of the Vilnius University
In the late 19th century all houses of the courtyard were reconstructed and in the early 21st century water supply and sewerage systems were installed. Apartments were rented in those houses
Interior of the present-day Faculty of Philosophy. After the reconstruction was completed in the spring of 2005, the Faculty of Philosophy was relocated here
All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic
© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2023
RELATED POSTS
Earlier in this courtyard was an artillery school. The Rector of the Vilnius University S. Malewski as well as lived in the building of this courtyardA poet Adam Mickiewicz spent much time with his son in their house in 1818-1819. As the first-year student, he lived in one of those buildings. Later, it became a gathering place of the PhilomatsThe courtyard is surrounded by two-storey buildings. A Gothic façade of one of them is facing Pilies StreetAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2023
Continue Reading
Universiteto St. 3 - The oldest building of Vilnius University with Gothic elements stands there dating from early 16th centuryThe Brzostowski estate. In 1667-69, a plot of land with buildings was bought by a diplomat, later the Trakai voivode Cyprian Pawel Brzostowski. The exterior and interior of the palace was decorated by architect Martin Knackfuss in 1769Alumni house. It was the Ecclesiastical Seminary founded by Pope Gregory XII in 1582. A three-storey palace with arccades was built in 1622All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
A monument to dr. Jonas Basanavičius in Vilnius in front of the building of the Lithuanian National PhilharmonicDr. Jonas Basanavičius chaired the session of Lithuanian Council that adopted the Act of Independence of Lithuania on 1918-02-16. He was the first to sign the Act of the Proclamation of the Lithuanian IndependenceBalancing between Lithuanian and Polish interests, he refused to participate in the opening of the Polish Stefan Batory University (today Vilnius University)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Juliusz Słowacki's bust in the courtyard of house No. 20. On the same building, there is a memorial plaque to Ferdynand Ruszczic House No. 22 of the Medical Collegium of Vilnius University. A Gothic building belonging to Duke Constantine Ostrogsky and later to the gear hetman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Christopher Radziwiłł is mentioned in historical sources in 1508. In 1683 the house was bought by Vilnius University. The backside of St. Johns' Church of Vilnius University is seenVilnius University's first botanical garden was created in the courtyard in 1782 as well as a greenhouse All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
S. Skapo Street marks the northern limit (right) of the Vilnius University Old CampusA nice perspective view of de Reuss Palace seen from S. Skapo Street (west side) The Lopaciński or Sulistrowski estate in S. Skapo Street. The building got its Classical style according to Martin Knackfuss project. In 1930, the west wing was refurbished as the bishop's house. From 1940, the building housed a music schoolAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
In Old Town in Vilnius, at the Church of the Holy Spirit, on St. Ignatius St., a Dominican monastery was established in 1501At the time of Napoleonic Wars (in 1812) the Dominican monastery of the Church of the Holy Spirit was used by the French army as a hospitalThe monastery was converted into a prison by the Russian authorities in 1807. Corridors are decorated by frescoes from the 18th centuryAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2021
Continue Reading
The north wing of the Library Courtyard with the building of the Faculty of History of the Vilnius UniversityThe entrance to the Central Library of the Vilnius University is decorated by the memorial door in 2001 for the 450 year anniversary of the first book printed in the Lithuanian language (1547)The main building with the main entrance to the Vilnius University with the Rector Office seen from the Library CourtyardAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Bronze door of the Central Library of Vilnius University. It portrays the university's history (est. 1579) along with that of Konigsberg's University (est. 1544)The Observatory Tower, on the spire of which the Jesuit university founders placed an IHS monogram of JesusThe building's façade is decorated in Rococo-style window framing with sun and Zodiac signes, with mathematical and astronomical instruments in between the windows All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The garden reminiscent of a so-called secret garden (giardino segreto) could have been planned in the style of an Italian parkThe Renaissance Garden was located between the Royal Palace and the Upper Castle with the Tower of Gediminas. The stairs and other elements were designed by the Italian architect and sculptor Bernardino Zanobi da Gianottis. An Italian priest, Francesco, took care of the garden plantsEvidence of the history of the garden lies in the relics from various periods that survived in the cultural layers of the Lower Castle with the Renaissance Royal PalaceAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
A former Gothic façade that was uncovered at Karmelitų Str. around Rūdninkų Square in the Old Town of VilniusThe back-side façade from the inner courtyardThe back-side façade from the inner courtyard. The house is located on the territory of WWII Large Jewish GhettoAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The small garden between the church and the street used to be a cemetery. It is still occupied by a mausoleum built in 1708 for the Suzin's familyThe Suzin's family chapel was functioning as a souvenir shop during the Soviet administration The Suzin's family mausoleum chapel is located on the corner of Trakų St. and Franciscan St. in the Old Town in VilniusAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The main façade of the Presidential Palace (Prezidentura) in Vilnius at Simonas Daukantas SquareThe presidential coat-of-arms is adorning the entrance to the President's Chancellery on University StreetThe Inner Courtyard of the Presidential Palace - the palace of the President of the Republic of Lithuania since 1997All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Vilnius University was the first observatory center in Eastern Europe and the 4th in the worldWhite Hall now houses unique astronomical instruments and a reading roomThe narrow staircase leads to the observatory tower, which reveals a panorama of the Vilnius Old TownAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2023
Continue Reading
In the mid-19th century, Russian architect Nikolaj Chagin added a portal with statues of the Atlantes. In this palace Eustachy Tyszkiewicz held part of his archaeological collections that constituted the basis of the Museum of Antiquities (the first public museum in Vilnius) In 1863, it was a secret gattering place of the Lithuanian-Polish rebels against the Russian administration There is the Tyszkiewicz family coat of arms on the pediment - an aristocratic family who owned extensive estates in Lithuania. At the present time, the building is occupied by the Vilnius Gediminas Technical University (VGTU)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
A small doorway in a plain building at Pilies (Castle) Street leads through a vaulted passage into a large yard. The yard was the original place of the Botanical Garden of the Vilnius University. It was founded by a French botanist, Jean Gilibert, in 1782The Botanical Garden remained in this yard for 10 years when it was transferred to Sereikiškių Park, and as well as provided accommodation for the university professors. Before becoming the Botanic Garden, the buildings around had been a college for noblemen. After the university was closed in the mid-19th century, the buildings were used by the Medical AcademyThe yard is the best and most probably the single place in Vilnius from where to admire the spectacularly decorated top of the apse of the Church of St. John's (the church in the grand courtyard of the University of Vilnius)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav ...
Continue Reading
The building of Vilnius Gymnasium of Vytautas the Great - the first gymnasium in Lithuanian language est. in Vilnius at the beginning of the 20th centuryThe backside of the Church of Our Lady, Comfort of the Afflicted seen from Augustijonų Street in Vilnius Old Town. In Soviet times the church was used as a warehouse, and in 1967 the interior was divided into several shops by the construction of concrete floors. The building is today in urgent need of restorationThe entrance to the Jesuit Gymnasium in Augustijonų Street in Vilnius Old Town. Behind the gymnasium is St. Casimir ChurchAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
The Jewish Str. in Vilnius was known as hosted the Great Synagogue of Vilnius, the Jewish (Strashun) Library of Vilnius, the Schulhoyf yard, the Gaon House and the Gaon Synagogue among other buildings Gaon Str. with the Stikliai (Glass) Hotel on the corner of the Glass Square where the glass products have been sold since the mid-16th centuryAt the entrance to Gaon Str. in 1941 it was the gate to the Small Jewish Ghetto which existed from September 6th to October 29, 1941. The Small Jewish Ghetto had around 11.000 inhabitantsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
One house in Augustijonų Street in Vilnius Old Town. Behind the house is the Church of Our Lady, Comfort of the AfflictedA view from Augustijonų Street on the top of the tower of the Church of Our Lady, Comfort of the Afflicted. This church used to be known for its lavish decoration, but the altars, pulpit, and organ were removed in 1852 when it was transformed into a Russian Orthodox Church One courtyard in Augustijonų Street in front of the Church of Our Lady, Comfort of the AfflictedAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Simonas Daukantas was one of the first authors to start forming the concept of an ethnic Lithuanian nation and its cultural history. The first book on the history of Lithuania "The Deeds of Ancient Lithuanians and Samogitians" was written by Simonas Daukantas (1793-1864) in 1822 while he was still studying at Vilnius UniversityThe larger part of the premises in this courtyard belongs to the Faculty of Philology. The Institute of Foreign Languages is located here too"Domus Philologiae" with the lobby of Muses on the first floor of the east wing is decorated by a fresco created by Rimtautas Gibavičius in 1969All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue ReadingAdam Mickiewicz Courtyard of the Vilnius University
University Street in Vilnius
Jonas Basanavičius Monument in Vilnius
Courtyard of the Medical Collegium (1)
S. Skapo Street
A Dominican Monastery at the Church of the Holy Spirit
The Library Courtyard of the Vilnius University
The Central Buildings of the Old Campus of the Vilnius University
The Renaissance Palace Garden in Vilnius
House-Monument with Gothic Façade
The Suzin’s Family Mausoleum Chapel
Presidential Palace
Astronomic Instruments at the White Hall at Vilnius University
Tyszkiewicz Estate in Trakų St. 1 in Vilnius
Courtyard of the Medical Collegium (2)
Augustijonų Street (II)
The Jewish Street and Gaon Street in the Old Town of Vilnius
Augustijonų Street (I)
Simonas Daukantas Courtyard at Vilnius University Old Campus
Photo Slider Old Town in Vilnius: Vilnius University and Monastery Quarter


