ARCHIVES CALENDAR

July 2020
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

HEADLINES

MOST POPULAR POSTS

TWITTER

TAG CLOUD

FEATURES

CATEGORIES OF THE POSTS

FOLLOW US

RSS
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram
VK

ARCHIVES OF THE POSTS

STATISTICS

  • 34
  • 15
  • 30
  • 13
  • 481
  • 3,465
  • 55,108
  • 6,403,903
  • 116,923
  • 116
  • 6
  • 2020-06-11

St. John Steet in Vilnius

St. John St. in Vilnius is a short street, and one of the city's oldest. It is named after the Vilnius University church. Its name was first recorded in 1530 [...]

University St. in Vilnius

The street is named after Vilnius University est. 1579. The western boundary of the old campus of Vilnius University goes along this street. The University St. is one of the main and most important streets in the Old Town of Vilnius [...]

Church of St. Theresa (Interior)

The church of St. Theresa in Vilnius is built in 1633-1654 along with a basilican design and has a wide center and two narrow naves and a blind cupola (unseen from the outside) [...]

Tower St. in Vilnius

Tower (Bokšto) Str. in Vilnius takes its name from the fortifications at the top of the street which formerly guarded the eastern approaches to the city [...]

Church of the Heart of Jesus and the Convent of the Visitationists in Vilnius

The Church of the Heart of Jesus, or the Visitationists Church and the Convent of the Visitationists is situated in Vilnius out of the Old Town close to the Missionary Church, and together they constitute an impressive ensemble on the Saviour Hill that can be seen well from different sites of the city of Vilnius [...]

The Church of St. George the Martyr

The Church of St.George the Martyr in Vilnius was built in 1506 for the Carmelite monks who had settled in the Radziwiłł Estate and for whose maintenance Vilnius Voivode Michael Radziwiłł allotted land and funding as well [...]

Chapel of St. Casimir (interior)

St. Casimir's Chapel is located on the south-east corner of the Vilnius Cathedral. It is the largest of the chapels and was the largest single element of the former cathedral's building to be incorporated intact into the new one by Lithuanian architect Laurinas Stuoka-Gucevičius at the turn of the 19th century [...]

Chapel of St. Casimir (exterior)

The chapel was built in 1624-1636 to hold the remains of St. Casimir who was canonized in 1604. The chapel is part of the Cathedral Basilica in Vilnius [...]

Vilnius Old Town Panoramic View

Vilnius has the most northern Baroque & the most eastern Gothic Old Town in Europe. Enjoy the panoramic view from the platform of the Gediminas Tower (Upper Castle Tower) [...]

Church of St. Theresa and the Monastery of the Barefoot Carmelites

The Church of St. Theresa is one of the most excellent examples of early Baroque monuments in Vilnius. It was built from 1633 to 1654 under the patronage of the Vice-Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Stephen Pac. Most probably the exterior was designed by Italian Constantino Tencalla [...]

Church of Our Lord Jesus and the Trinitarian Monastery

The Trinitarian Church of Our Lord Jesus is situated north of the Sapieha estate, on the former possessions of the Sapiehas family. It was built by the efforts of Casimir Sapieha the Younger (1637-1720) in 1694-1717 [...]

Sapieha Estate and Park

Between the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul and Antakalnis Cemetery there is a large plot of land with remnants of the 17th-century noble estate by the great Hetman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Casimir Sapieha the Younger (1637-1720) who built a palace on this site in 1691 [...]

Church of St. Catherine and Former Benedictine Monastery

Church of St. Catherine in Vilnius is built in typical Vilnius Baroque style. It is a Late Baroque church once accompanied with Benedictine Monastery. It was built by the Benedictine Sisters near their convent. It acquired its present-day appearance after a great fire in Vilnius in 1737. The church has a rich interior decorated with stucco mouldings and artificial marble [...]

Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Vilnius

The present Baroque Church of St. Peter and St. Paul was built by Michael Casimir Pac (1624-1682), Grand Hetman and Vilnius Voivode of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, to mark the liberation of Vilnius from Moscow (The 1655-1661 War) and his own escape from the hands of rebellious soldiers [...]