Press "Enter" to skip to content

Posts tagged as “Old Town”

Chapel of St. Casimir (interior)

St. Casimir's Chapel is located on the south-east corner of the Vilnius Cathedral. It is the largest of the chapels and was the largest single element of the former cathedral's building to be incorporated intact into the new one by Lithuanian architect Laurinas Stuoka-Gucevičius at the turn of the 19th century [...]

The Šlapelis House Museum

The museum building was a home of Dr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis at Pilies St. 40 in Vilnius' Old Town, who were active figures in the national revival of Lithuanians in the early 20th century, in particular through Marija's activities as a publisher and bookseller [...]

The Adam Mickiewicz Museum

It is a flat in Vilnius where Adam Mickiewicz lived and worked in December 1822. Personal items of his are held at the museum in Bernardinų St. No. 11. On display is material about the poet's life and work, translations into Lithuanian and other languages, and permanent exposition on the Philomaths [...]

Jewish Quarter (II)

The buildings in the Jewish Quarter in Vilnius housed many shops and stores, and many poor Jews lived there. These were probably the most densely populated premises in Vilnius [...]

Jewish Quarter (II)

A Jewish Quarter (known as a ghetto in West Europe) was formed in the Middle Ages in Vilnius in the area bordered Dominikonų, Vokiečių and Stiklų Streets in today's Old Town [...]

Evangelical Lutheran Church

The church was established in 1555 and was visited not only by the German merchants in Vilnius living around the Town Hall, but other inhabitants that had converted to Lutheranism used the Lutheran school, library, hospital, pharmacy, kindergarten, and homes for the elderly and orphans [...]

Vilnius Old Town Hall

The current Classicist Town Hall was designed by Vilnius Classicist architect Laurinas Gucevičius in 1785-1799 after the demolition in 1781 [...]

Jewish Quarter (I)

Vilnius was called Jerusalem of the North since the mid-18th century till WWII. Before 1941, around 60.000 (1/3 of Vilnius population) Jews lived in the small, narrow streets, including artisans and merchants, who supplied products to the city and surrounding areas [...]

Literatų Street

This is by-street in Vilnius branches off from Pilies St. and goes in a broken line towards the Church of St. Archangel Michael [...]

Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus and St. Vladislaus

The Cathedral is today in the Classicist style with the impressive bell tower (belfry). In 1783-1801 it was redesigned by famous Lithuanian Classicist architect Laurynas Gucevičius. The Cathedral's most valuable part is the spacious Baroque-style St. Casimir's Chapel which was built from 1610 to 1632 for holding the remains of Lithuanian St. Casimir (declared in 1604 by Pope Clemens VIII as the saint [...]

Church of St. Nicholas

This is one of the oldest churches in Vilnius. The first church in this spot was built by German merchants in the 14th century [...]

Share
error

www.SEE-VILNIUS.eu