Press "Enter" to skip to content

Posts published in “Old Town in Vilnius”

The Old Arsenal in Vilnius

The Old Arsenal, today the Museum of Applied Art, is a massive two-story building that was build-up by the Polish King and the Grand Duke of Lithuania in the early 16th century over part of the old city wall at the east of the complex of the Upper and Lower Castles, furthest from the grand-ducal palace, thus minimizing the risk from any fire in it [...]

Chapel of St. Casimir (interior)

St. Casimir's Chapel is located on the south-east corner of the Vilnius Cathedral. It is the largest of the chapels and was the largest single element of the former cathedral's building to be incorporated intact into the new one by Lithuanian architect Laurinas Stuoka-Gucevičius at the turn of the 19th century [...]

The Šlapelis House Museum

The museum building was a home of Dr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis at Pilies St. 40 in Vilnius' Old Town, who were active figures in the national revival of Lithuanians in the early 20th century, in particular through Marija's activities as a publisher and bookseller [...]

The Adam Mickiewicz Museum

It is a flat in Vilnius where Adam Mickiewicz lived and worked in December 1822. Personal items of his are held at the museum in Bernardinų St. No. 11. On display is material about the poet's life and work, translations into Lithuanian and other languages, and permanent exposition on the Philomaths [...]

Jewish Quarter (II)

The buildings in the Jewish Quarter in Vilnius housed many shops and stores, and many poor Jews lived there. These were probably the most densely populated premises in Vilnius [...]

Jewish Quarter (II)

A Jewish Quarter (known as a ghetto in West Europe) was formed in the Middle Ages in Vilnius in the area bordered Dominikonų, Vokiečių and Stiklų Streets in today's Old Town [...]

Evangelical Lutheran Church

The church was established in 1555 and was visited not only by the German merchants in Vilnius living around the Town Hall, but other inhabitants that had converted to Lutheranism used the Lutheran school, library, hospital, pharmacy, kindergarten, and homes for the elderly and orphans [...]

Share
error

www.SEE-VILNIUS.eu