ARCHIVES CALENDAR

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930   
       
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     
     12
3456789
10111213141516
17181920212223
242526272829 
       
  12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  
       
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
3031     
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
       
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   
       
      1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30      
   1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031 
       

HEADLINES

MOST POPULAR POSTS

TWITTER

TAG CLOUD

FEATURES

CATEGORIES OF THE POSTS

FOLLOW US

RSS
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram
VK

ARCHIVES OF THE POSTS

STATISTICS

  • 114
  • 35
  • 134
  • 53
  • 915
  • 2,583
  • 47,412
  • 6,393,049
  • 114,239
  • 87
  • 6
  • 2020-04-09

Simonas Daukantas Courtyard at Vilnius University Old Campus



Hits: 147

Simonas Daukantas was one of the first authors to start forming the concept of an ethnic Lithuanian nation and its cultural history

The larger part of the premises in this courtyard belongs to the Faculty of Philology. The Institute of Foreign Languages is located here too

“Domus Philologiae” with the lobby of Muses on the first floor of the east wing is decorated by a fresco created by Rimtautas Gibavičius in 1969


All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic

© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018

RELATED POSTS
Observatory Courtyard of Vilnius University
One of the Latin inscriptions: "This house is that of Urania: be gone profane worries! Here the humble Earth is scorned: from here one rises to the stars" Here it was a Jesuit pharmacy. Medical herbs were grown in the courtyard The buildings of the Observatory Courtyard are the oldest in the university ensemble All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic © Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Residential Palace at Trakai Island Castle
If you go through the gates of the dungeon you find yourself in a small inner courtyard paved with stones. It is surrounded in a circle by a two-story wooden galleryThe Trakai History Museum was established in the castle in 1962. There are today total of 16 exhibition hallsWhen enemies attacked, the wooden galleries were burned, which made it more difficult to get into the palaceAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Lithuania – Geographical Center of Europe
A geographical centre of Europe - 25 km far from Vilnius. From 2015 Summer You will get a special Certificate that you have visited the Geographical center of Europe. Don't miss the chance to get it for freeThe Baltic States of Europe - Estonia, Latvia & LithuaniaVytis (The Knight) - The Coat of Arm of both historical Grand Duchy of Lithuania and present-day the Republic of LithuaniaOrigins of images: Facebook, Twitter, Wikimedia, Wikipedia, Flickr, Google, Imageinjection & Pinterest.Read our Disclaimer/Legal Statement!Donate to Support UsWe would like to ask you to consider a small donation to help our team keep working.
Continue Reading
Library Courtyard of Vilnius University
Bronze door of the Central Library of Vilnius University. It portrays the university's history (est. 1579) along with that of Konigsberg's University (est. 1544) The Observatory Tower, on the spire of which the Jesuit university founders placed an IHS monogram of Jesus The building's façade is decorated in Rococo-style window framing with sun and Zodiac signes, with mathematical and astronomical instruments in between the windows All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic © Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Photo Slider Old Town in Vilnius: Vilnius University and Monastery Quarter
All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic
Continue Reading
Karaites of New Trakai
Kybyn (pl. Kybynlar) is the most popular Karaite dish in Lithuania, which is a roll made of leavened dough in the shape of a half-moon, whithlamb and beef inside A Karaite wooden house with its back stickling out into the street because of a lack of room, and always with three windows - one for God, one for Vytautas, and one for a guest A Karaime hiuse in New Trakai All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic © Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Courtyard of the Medical Collegium
Juliusz Słowacki's bust in the courtyard of house No. 20. On the same building, there is a memorial plaque to Ferdynand Ruszczic House No. 22 of the Medical Collegium of Vilnius University. A Gothic building belonging to Duke Constantine Ostrogsky and later to the gear hetman of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Christopher Radziwiłł is mentioned in historical sources in 1508. In 1683 the house was bought by Vilnius University. The backside of St. Johns' Church of Vilnius University is seenVilnius University's first botanical garden was created in the courtyard in 1782 as well as a greenhouse All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Vilnius University Est. 1579
The Old Campus in the Old town - Rectorate buildingThe Old Campus in the Old town - Rector's Office and former Astronomical Observatory building (right) and the Central Library building (left) with the Central Library Courtyard in front of the buildingsThe History Facutly building (left) and the Central Library building (right) with the arched gates to Mikalojus Dukša Courtyard (left) and Mathias Casimir Sarbievius Courtyard (forward)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Museum of Archaeology of Lithuania
The museum is located in the north wing of the Old Arsenal and looks at Neolithic, Bronze and Iron Age Lithuania followed by the various tribes that inhabited the area until they combined to form a state in the 13th centuryThe museum displays object found in burial sites, such as pins, amulets, rings, brooches, knives or necklaces. You can as well as see regional dressses of Lithuanian tribes before the formation of the state in the mid-13th century The museum shows a hoard of some 16.000 17th-century coins found in 1999 in Vilnius. It is believed that the hoard may have been hidden during the 1700-1721 Great Northen War. Nevertheless, it is the largest collection of old coins to be found in Lithuania All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Church of St. Anne
Church of St. Anne (left) and Bernardine Church (right)St. Anne Church, designed in 1495-1500 by Benedikt Rejt, built up at the turn of the 15th century, and renovated in 1902-1909. The façade was reinforced in 1960-1970St. Anne Church - a church which French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte wanted to put on his palm and carry it over to Paris All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Belfry of the Cathedral Basilica in Vilnius
Its foundations are superimposed on the remains of a square tower, one of the oldest brick buildings in Lithuania, whose bricks are bound in the pre-Cothis (Baltic) manner An oval four-story tower with loopholes was built on these remains. Originally, it was a defensive tower of the Lower CastleThe underground square part dates from the 13th century, and the round part - from the late 14th century All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Lakes of Trakai
New Trakai is one of Lithuania's loveliest towns. It stretches out along a narrow peninsula between lakes, and it is a frequent destination for Vilnius residents, and visitors from abroad The largest lakes, such as Galvė, Skaistis, Bernardinai, and Totoriškės are connected together. Lake salmon breed in Lake AkmenaThe Trakai Historical National Park was included in the preliminary UNESCO World Heritage List in 2003. Trakai was Lithuania's second capital in Middle Ages. Its time of glory began under Grand Duke Vytautas the Great, who strengthened the Peninsula Castle, and built the most famous monument of Lithuania's ancient history - the Island CastleAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
“The Seasons” Fresco-Paintings at Vilnius University
A fresco by P. Repšys created in 1976-1985, which depicts scenes from Lithuanian mythology To enter the Lithuanian Philology Centre is possible from Mathias Casimirus Sarbievius Courtyard The fresco composition is painted for the occasion of the 400th years anniversary of Vilnius University establishment (in 1579) All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic © Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Island Castle of Trakai
Until the 15th century, the castle was the residence of the Lithuanian Grand Dukes. The complex was built from the beginning of the 14th century to the beginning of the 15th century The castle is comprised of two parts - the bailey and the residential palace, which is divided by a canal, which at the same time was filled with lake waterThe castle is surrounded in a circle by a two-story wooden galleryAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania
The Royal Palace of Lithuania (the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania) is a part of the complex of buildings of the Lower Castle in VilniusThe entrance gate to the palaceInner courtyard of the Royal PalaceAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
Grand Duke Gediminas is considered as the founder of the city of VilniusGediminas was a diplomatic politician, creating ties with the Roman Pope and other European rulers. He created favourable conditions for merchants and guildsmen to come to the cityDuring the time of Gediminas, people of different ethnicities and confessions began to live in VilniusAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Bailey of Trakai Island Castle
Trakai Island Castle is comprised of two parts - the bailey (grand courtyard of the lower part of the castle) and residential palace (upper part of the castle), which is divided by a canal, which at the time was filled with lake waterIn bailey lived the castle's garrison, which was for defending. The courtyard was used for general purposes The bailey of Trakai Island Castle has four defensive towers including gate towerAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
The Church of St. George the Martyr
The church was originally Gothic but in 1750-1755 it was restored according to design by Franz Ignatius Hoffer and acquired some late Baroque and Rococo featuresNearby the church building stand the 17th-18th-century buildings of the Carmelite Monastery which had a rich archive and library. A study centre opereted there. In 1797-1944 it housed the Ecclesiastical Seminary  Today the buildings are used by the Centre for Book Research and Libraries, and the church is closed to the publicAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Observatory Courtyard of Vilnius University
Residential Palace at Trakai Island Castle
Lithuania – Geographical Center of Europe
Library Courtyard of Vilnius University
Photo Slider Old Town in Vilnius: Vilnius University and Monastery Quarter
Karaites of New Trakai
Courtyard of the Medical Collegium
Vilnius University Est. 1579
The Museum of Archaeology of Lithuania
Church of St. Anne
The Belfry of the Cathedral Basilica in Vilnius
Lakes of Trakai
“The Seasons” Fresco-Paintings at Vilnius University
Island Castle of Trakai
The Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania
Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
Bailey of Trakai Island Castle
The Church of St. George the Martyr
Share
Tags: , , ,