Views: 1294
Tour № 1 – Šventaragis Valley

- Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus & St. Vladislaus
- Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus & St. Vladislaus (inside, including the Chapel of St. Casimir, the Chapel of Deportees, the Gasztołd Chapel, the Royal Chapel, St. Wladislaw/Vladislaus/Ladislav Chapel, High alter, Memorial plague to the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas Magnus, the Sapieha Madona’s picture, etc)
- Cathedral Basilica Bell Tower
- Royal Palace of Lithuania (the Palace of Grand Dukes of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania)
- Upper Castle
- Upper Castle’s West (Gediminas) Tower
- Old Arsenal – Museum of Applied Art
- New Arsenal – Lithuanian National Museum
- Monument to King Mindaugas (1236-1263: Crowned King on July 6th, 1253)
- Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas (1316-1341: the founder of Gediminian-Jagiellonian ruling dynasty)
Tour № 2 – Vilnius University & Monastery Quarter

- Vilnius University – Historical Campus (est. 1579)
- Vilnius University – the Bronze door of the Central Library
- Vilnius University – Historical Campus (inside, including 12 university’s courtyards, Domus Philologiae, Smuglevičius Hall, White (Observatory) Hall, Lelewel Hall, Lithuanian Philology Centre, etc)
- Vilnius University – Science Museum
- St. Johns’ Church in the Great (Skarga) university’s Courtyard
- St. Johns’ Church in the Great (Skarga) university’s Courtyard (inside, including Great alter, Altar of Maria of Loretto, Chapel of St. Anne, Altar of St. Victorino, Organ, several memorial plagues and frescos, etc)
- St. Johns’ Church in the Great (Skarga) university’s Courtyard – Bell Tower
- Dominican Street
- University Street
- St. John Street
- Church of the Holy Cross and former Hospitaller Monastery
- Monument to Laurinas Gucevičius (1753-1798)
- Presidential Palace (Prezidentura)
- Alumni (Alumnatas) Courtyard
- Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
- Church of the Holy Spirit and former Dominican Monastery
- St. Ignatius Church and former Jesuit novitiate
- Plaque for Righteous Among the Nations
- Monument to Stanislaw Moniuszko (1819-1872)
- St. Catherine’s Church and former Benedictine Monastery
Tour № 3 – From the Cathedral Basilica to Town Hall Square

- Buildings of Pilies Street
- House of the Signatories
- Marija and Jurgis Šlapelis House Museum
- Paraskeva Russian Orthodox Church
- Pilies Street souvenir open market – What should you buy in Vilnius
- Buildings of Didžioji (Great) Street
- Vilnius Picture Gallery (Chodkiewicz Palace)
- Stendhal House
- Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church
- Historical Town Hall
- Buildings around the Square of Historical Town Hall
- Former printing house of Francysk Skaryna (1486-1551) – the Magistrate House
- Buildings of Savičiaus Street
- Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis’ (1875-1911) Memorial Flat Museum
- Church of Blessed Mary the Comforter and the Augustine Monastery
- Kazys Varnelis’ (1917-2010) House Museum – Great and Small Guilds
- Casimir Church
- Buildings of Subačius Street
- Bastion – an artillery fortification
- Church of the Assumption and former Missionary Monastery
Tour № 4 – Quarter of Three Confessions

- Buildings of Aušros Street
- Radisson SAS Astorijos Hotel (former Italia hotel)
- Building of National Philharmonic
- Monument to Jonas Basanavičius (1851-1927) on the square in front of National Philharmonic
- Memorial plaque to Ignacy Domeyko (1802-1889)
- Baroque gate to Uniate Church of the Holy Trinity and former Basilian Monastery
- Uniate Church of the Holy Trinity and former Basilian Monastery
- Memorial plaque to Josaphat Kuncevic (St. Josaphat, 1580-1623)
- Memorial plaque on the building of former Basilian Monastery where Adam Mickiewicz (1798-1855) was imprisoned
- Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Spirit and monastery
- Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Spirit (inside, including the remains of the Three Vilnius Martyrs kept under a wooden canopy in front of the iconostasis)
- Church of St. Teresa (of Ávila, Spain) and former Carmelite Monastery
- Church of St. Teresa (of Ávila, Spain) (inside, including the church’s mural paintings, the Chapel of Pac’s family’s mausoleum, impressive, gently-curved church’s pulpit and the altar)
- Chapel of the Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate)
- The sacred picture of the Holy Virgin Mary in the Chapel of the Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate)
- Votive objects in the Chapel of the Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate)
- The Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate) from the southern side with a Renaissance composition of Vytis
Tour № 5 – Jewish Quarter
- Small and Large Vilnius Jewish Ghettos
- Monument to the Vilna Gaon
- Mark Antokolski (1840-1902) House
- Former Mattityahu Strashun (1817-1885) Jewish Library
- Vokiečių gatvė (German Street)
- Contemporary Art Centre
- „Barbara“ sculpture
- Monument in remembrance of Vilnius Ghetto martyrs and fighters in 1941-1943
- Church of St. Nicholas
- A sculpture of Vilnius Patron Saint Christopher in the yard of the Church of St. Nicholas
- Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Amatų gildija (Artisan guild) open ceramic workshop and gallery
- Former Vilnius ghetto theatre 1941-1943
- Former Gothic façade at Karmelitų gatvę (Carmelite Street)
- Closed courtyards with open galleries, characteristic of Old Town architecture
- Church of All Saints and former Carmelite Monastery
- A section of Vilnius historical defensive wall
- The sculpture named „Egg“
- Monument to Tzemach Shabad (1864-1935)
- Choral Synagogue
- Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin Mary and former Franciscan Monastery
- Sculpture of the Holy Virgin Mary (The White Mother of God)
- Suzin’s built Baroque-style family mausoleum chapel
- A monument to Jozef Montwiłł (1850-1911)

Tour № 6 – Bends of the River Vilnia
- Adam Mickiewicz’s Memorial Flat Museum
- Church of St. Anne
- Church of St. Francis and St. Bernardine
- Chapel of the Holy Steps
- Monument to Adam Mickiewicz
- Church of St. Michael the Archangel
- Adam Mickiewitz’s House
- Sereikiškių Park
- Amber Museum
- Russian Orthodox Church of the Blessed Mother of God
- „Angel of Užupis“ sculpture
- Constitution of the „Republic of Užupis“
- Church of St. Bartholomew
- Bernardinų Cemetery

Tour № 7 – City Centre
- Three Crosses Monument on the Three Crosses Hill
- Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
- Petras Vileišis Estate
- Tuskulėnų Park with columbarium
- A building of Lithuanian Energy
- A building of Lithuanian Theatre, Music and Film (A Small Radziwiłł Palace)
- A Great Radziwiłł Palace
- Vilna Gaon Jewish State Museum
- Sculpture or Roman Gary
- A monument to Frank Zappa
- Museum of Genocide Victims (former KGB Headquarters)
- A plaque to Chiune Sugihara
All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic
© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018

RELATED POSTS
Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus and St. Vladislaus in Vilnius. Today the Cathedral Basilica is in the Classicist style as it was redisigned in 1783-1801 by Lithuanian architect Laurynas Gucevičius Baroque-style Cathedral's St. Casimir's Chapel built in 1610-1632 for holding the remains of St. Casimir (declared in 1604 by Pope Clemens VIII as the saint Cathedral Basilica Bell Tower. It is rebuilt tower that was part of the defensive wall that encircled the Lower CastleSaveAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
St. Lazarus' almshouse operated in this church, plague and famine victims were buried there. In 1715, the church and the monastery were given to the brethren of St. Rochus who tended to sick people, and in 1752 - to the sisters of MaryIn a cemetery at the church many outstanding people were buried, among others architect Laurynas Stuoka-Gucevičius. A memorial plaque to him is set up on the south façade of the church. However, later the cemetery was turned into a storage site of construction materialsThe church was severely damaged during a fire in 1794. The church was reconstructed and slightly transformed in 1801-1806. In 1864, the convent was closed down, and the buildings converted into a prisonAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The courtyard of the palace. In 1834 the building was reconstructed and acquired its present appearance. In 1919 it was given to the university and was home to several well-known professors The façade is harmonious, moderately decorated. The façades of the servants' house facing the courtyard and Bokšto Str. (No. 5) Today the palace houses the Vilnius Picture Gallery and the Lithuanian Art MuseumAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
This building in Savičiaus Street in Vilnius Old Town acquired its present appearance in the 18th century with the 19th-century façade. Until the mid-19th century, the building was home to Vilnius governors and burgomasters In 1995, on the artist's 120th anniversary, a memorial culture center and the flat museum was opened in this house. The center and museum, today, hosts lectures on music, art, and philosophy, as well as chamber concertsM. K. Čiurlionis created 350 musical pieces and around 500 artworks. When he lived in this house, he created his most remarkable paintingsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
In 1695 the Trinitarians set up a community on the right bank of the River Neris just to the north of Vilnius. Therefore, the place is known as Trinapolis (a city of the Trinitarians)In 1750-1760 Trinapolis was reconstructed in the late Baroque style. It was a summer residence of Vilnius bishopsIn Soviet times the church was closed down. Today, the monastery is used as a retreat house by an order of nuns, and the church is not regularly openAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2022
Continue Reading
Upper Caste's Gediminas Tower (14th century) with the Royal Palace of Lithuania (the Palace of Grand Dukes of Lithuania, 16th century). Today, it houses a museum and an observation deck from which it can be seen a beautiful panorama of the city from the 75 m. high perchThe museum exposition features plans of castlereconstruction as well as armamentsGediminas Tower with the Lithuanian tricolor flag became a symbol of Lithuania. Gediminas Tower is a Western tower of the Higher Castle of Vilnius with an octagonal plan, stone foundations, and mainly brick walls built in the Gothic mannerAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
In 1780, Vilnius Bishop Ignacy Massalski settled in Verkiai. He commissioned Lithuanian architect Laurynas Gucevičius to reconstruct an earlier palace. The general plan and maintenance buildings were designed by Lithuanian architect Martin KnackfussThe ensemble encompasses the park of 36 ha. Situated on two terraces, the park consisted of two parts - the upper and the great park. A view of Vilnius and the Neris River is exposed from a steep slopeSince 1960 the ensemble belongs to the Lithuanian Academy of Science and is gradually renovatedAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2021
Continue Reading
The founder of the church was a Grand Hetman and Vilnius Voivode of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The 17th-century church's façade is modest, however the interior is richly ornate with a number of stucco mouldings The church was built to mark the liberation of Vilnius from Moscow (The 1655-1661 War) and the founder's own escape from the hands of rebellious soldiers. The interior was created by the Italians G. P. Perti and G. M. Galli, who decorated it with more than 2,000 stucco mouldings The chandelier was created in 1905 in Riga and represents the Biblical Noah's arkAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Grand Duke Gediminas is considered as the founder of the city of Vilnius. The monument is located in front of the Royal Palace and Cathedral Basilica in the very downtown of VilniusGediminas was a diplomatic politician, creating ties with the Roman Pope and other European rulers. He created favourable conditions for merchants and guildsmen to come to the city. Gediminas was a Grand Duke of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from 1316 to 1341During the time of Gediminas, people of different ethnicities and confessions began to live in Vilnius. He is the founder of the Gediminian-Jagelonian ruling dynasty of Lithuania and later of Poland as well (till 1572)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Three crosses are believed to have first been erected on this hill above the Old Town of Vilnius in the 17th century to commemorate a group of 14 Franciscan monks from a nearby monastery who were martyred in the 14th century The monument has changed several times. The present one was built in 1989 to replace one that had been removed by the Soviet authorities in the 1950sOne of the best panoramic views of the Old Town of Vilnius is offered from the Hill of Three CrossesAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The palace has always been representional: rulers, kings, emperors and kings-to-be like Napoleon, Stanislaus August Poniatowski, Alexander I, Louis XVIII and others used to stay there on their visits to VilniusThe Soviets turned the palace into an officer's club later to be converted into Artist HouseIn 1939, when Vilnius had been part of Lithuania, plans to settle the Presidency in the palace were advanced. However, it was not until 1997 that these plans were carried outAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The life and work of Dr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis reflects the life of the region of Vilnius from the second half of the 19th century to 1940. Both of them have been cultural figures in Lithuania. Marija was actress. They published Lithuanian books that were banned at that timeDr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis owned the only Lithuanian language bookstore in Vilnius during 1906-1949. The Šlapelis family bought the house in 1926. Before, it was a goldsmith's workshops, and later housed a small holet called the Hotel de Philadelphie, and a wine shop The building is an example of the 17-th century architecture. Dr. Jurgis died in 1941, and Marija in 1977 at the age of 97. After WWII, the house was nationalised, and, therefore, Marija Šlapelis was forced to live in two small rooms upstairs, with the only access to them through another person's quarters. Marija stipulated in her ...
Continue Reading
The historical building in Tyzenhauzų Str. in VilniusTyzenhauzų Str. building in VilniusTyzenhauzų Str. building in VilniusAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2021
Continue Reading
Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania is a national cultural institution open to all users, active in the areas of dissemination of information, culture, science, and education, performing library activities and ensuring implementation of the national information policy falling within its competence The mission of the library is to be the Lithuanian space of knowledge-creating value for the public The vision of the library: to become an integral part of the state's information policy, culture, education, science, and economic progressAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
A plaque above the entrance to the courtyard of the house in which Mark Antokolski lived in the Old Town of VilniusThe inner courtyard of the house in which Mark Antokolski livedMark Antokolski returned to Vilnius every summer while studying at the Imperial Art Academy in St. Petersburg in the years 1862-1868All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
The Užupis Art Incubator is open to all beginning and experienced artistsA view from the Užupis Art Incubator to the Russian Orthodox Church of the Blessed Mother of GodThe River of Vilnia seen from the Užupis Art IncubatorAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Bastion is comprised of a tower, cannon room and 48 m. the long corridor connecting it with the towerThe walls and moats of the Bastion were excavated in 1965-1970, and the canon room was renovated in 1985-1986 The entire Bastion is converted into a museum, and since 1987 it houses an exhibition of defensive fortifications and weaponryAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
The Royal Palace at the foot of the Castle Hill was a residence of the Grand Duke of LithuaniaThe Lower Castle is related with the times of Sigismund the Old and Sigismund August, Qween Nona and Barbora Radvilaitė (16th century)In the 16th century the Royal Palace with its Inner Courtyard was an Italian-style palace with four wings and attics. The building around encircled the Inner Courtyard of 2,500 square metres and were connected to the eastern wall of the Cathedral Basilica by a roofed galleryAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
In this house, belonging at the time to a university professor, Adam Mickiewicz stayed for a short period in 1822 and completed the poem "Gražina"It is small museum of three rooms but it is currently being expended. Among the exhibits are several portraits of Adam Mickiewicz and some period furniture, including a table and chair from Kaunas and a chair from Paris that the poet himself usedThe exhibition includes among the many volumes of his work in foreign languages, for instance, a Persian translation of his "Sonnets from the Crimea" All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The church is an elegant late Baroque monument built-in 1702-1730. It is made even more attractive by an asymmetrical monastery ensemble in 1713-1730The towers date from the mid-18th century. They end in rococo domes with lanterns Both the church and the monastery belonged to the Jesuit Order. The monastery was intended for the Jesuit monks with 10 years of service experience seeking to become professed Jesiuts, i.e., to make the last ceremonial vowes All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue ReadingCathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus and St. Vladislaus
Church of St. Stephen
Chodkiewicz Palace – Vilnius Picture Gallery & Lithuanian Art Museum
M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Flat Museum
The Church of the Holy Trinity and Trinapolis in Vilnius
Gediminas Tower
The Ensemble of the Verkiai Estate
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Vilnius
Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
The Hill of Three Crosses
The Inner Courtyard of the Presidential Palace in Vilnius
The Šlapelis House Museum
Tyzenhauzų Str. building in Vilnius
National Martynas Mažvydas Library
Mark Antokolski House in Vilnius
Užupis Art Incubator (1)
The Bastion of the Vilnius Defensive Wall (I)
Royal Palace – Inner Courtyard
The Adam Mickiewicz Museum
Church of St. Archangel Raphael


