ARCHIVES CALENDAR

October 2020
M T W T F S S
« Sep    
 1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031  

HEADLINES

MOST POPULAR POSTS

TWITTER

TAG CLOUD

FEATURES

CATEGORIES OF THE POSTS

FOLLOW US

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Instagram
VK

ARCHIVES OF THE POSTS

STATISTICS

  • 11
  • 6
  • 55
  • 11
  • 622
  • 3,199
  • 56,240
  • 6,411,837
  • 119,138
  • 118
  • 6
  • 2020-09-25

Defensive City Walls of Vilnius



Hits: 152

It is thought that a settlement existed on this site before the times of Gediminas and even Mindaugas (killed in 1263), in the 12th century

There are several interesting buildings on Bokšto Street

View of Vilnius’ Bastion from Bokšto Street


All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic

© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018

 
RELATED POSTS
The Bastion of the Vilnius Defensive Wall (III)
A semi-circular corridor of the Bastion of Vilnius, where cannons were lined up at embrasures, was called a casemate. A special platform with a parapet for heavy artillery was built on the terrace of the bastionA 48-m long, 2,8-m wide and 3,5 m high impressive tunnel leads from the tower to the underground casemate. Cannons brought to the tower would be rolled down this tunnelThe main part of the Bastion of Vilnius is the casemate. It is an underground horseshoe-shaped room for cannons. The casemate forms a semicircle around a 3-4 metre-high hill heightened with sand. From the outside the façade is 8 m high, and sloping, and is built from bricksAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Observatory Courtyard of the Vilnius University
One of the Latin inscriptions: "This house is that of Urania: be gone profane worries! Here the humble Earth is scorned: from here one rises to the stars"Here it was a Jesuit pharmacy. Medical herbs were grown in the courtyardThe buildings of the Observatory Courtyard are the oldest in the university ensembleAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Belfry of the Cathedral Basilica in Vilnius
Its foundations are superimposed on the remains of a square tower, one of the oldest brick buildings in Lithuania, whose bricks are bound in the pre-Cothis (Baltic) manner An oval four-story tower with loopholes was built on these remains. Originally, it was a defensive tower of the Lower CastleThe underground square part dates from the 13th century, and the round part - from the late 14th century All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Alumnatas Courtyard
Alumnatas Courtyard was the location for the student dormitory of a pontifical seminary in which seminary students (alumni) and future Greek Catholic (Uniate) priests lived. The courtyard is located in the Monastery Quarter of Vilnius very close to the Old Campus of Vilnius University and Presidential Palace (Prezidentura). Alumnatas (the Greek Catholic/Uniate) Courtyard in probably the most impressive and beautiful courtyards in Old Town of VilniusIn the mid-17th century, the courtyard was remodelledin an Italian Renaissance style , along with a chapelLater the buldings around Alumnatas Courtyard passed to Vilnius UniversityAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Chodkiewicz Palace – Vilnius Picture Gallery & Lithuanian Art Museum
The courtyard of the palace. In 1834 the building was reconstructed and acquired its present appearance. In 1919 it was given to the university and was home to several well-known professors The façade is harmonious, moderately decorated. The façades of the servants' house facing the courtyard and Bokšto Str. (No. 5) Today the palace houses the Vilnius Picture Gallery and the Lithuanian Art MuseumAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
The Defensive Wall of Vilnius
It was not until 1503 when Grand Duke of Lithuania and King of Poland Alexander Jagiellon granted a privilege that the construction of the wall began. The year 1522 is considered to mark the end of the construction, when Grand Duke of Lithuania Sigismund the Old exempted the residents of Vilnius from the duty of keeping guard at the castle and ordered 24 guards to be posted at the city gatesThe length of the defensive wall was 2,5 kilometres having 10 gates. The wall surrounded the territory of today's Old Town, approximatelly 100 hectars. The foundation of the defensive wall was built of stone, and bricks were mainly used at the level of loopholes and higher. The was was adapted for defence with gunpoweder-operated firearms Until the late-18th century, the Vilnius defensive wall was frequently renovated. The wall served for the last time in 1794 during the uprising led by ...
Continue Reading
The Hill of Three Crosses
Three crosses are believed to have first been erected on this hill above the Old Town of Vilnius in the 17th century to commemorate a group of 14 Franciscan monks from a nearby monastery who were martyred in the 14th century The monument has changed several times. The present one was built in 1989 to replace one that had been removed by the Soviet authorities in the 1950sOne of the best panoramic views of the Old Town of Vilnius is offered from the Hill of Three CrossesAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020[wpedon id="1558" align="left"]
Continue Reading
Church of the Holy Cross & former Hospitaller Monastery
According to legend, the monastery and wooden church were built circa 1332 in the burial spot of the Franciscan monks that had been martyred by Lithuanian pagansThe building complex is formed in the mid-18th century. Today, the church possess six Late Baroque-style altars, with the main altar having a picture of the Holy Virgin Mary that is considered to be miraculous. A copy of the picture is painted on the façade in 1742 The monument to famous Lithuanian neo-Classicist architect Laurinas Gucevičius, the founder of Vilnius neo-Classicism, is erected in 1994 in the square in front of the church.   All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Słuszki Estate in Vilnius
The building was noted for its stately late Baroque appearance. Michelangelo Palloni and Pietro Perti are thought to be the authors of the decorationsNoteworthy is an interesting Baroque pediment with a stucco bas-reliefA courtyard of the estate. Today, the buildings belongs to the Lithuanian Academy of Music and TheatreAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020[wpedon id="1558" align="left"]
Continue Reading
Lithuania – Geographical Center of Europe
A geographical centre of Europe - 25 km far from Vilnius. From 2015 Summer You will get a special Certificate that you have visited the Geographical center of Europe. Don't miss the chance to get it for freeThe Baltic States of Europe - Estonia, Latvia & LithuaniaVytis (The Knight) - The Coat of Arm of both historical Grand Duchy of Lithuania and present-day the Republic of LithuaniaOrigins of images: Facebook, Twitter, Wikimedia, Wikipedia, Flickr, Google, Imageinjection & Pinterest.Read our Disclaimer/Legal Statement!Donate to Support UsWe would like to ask you to consider a small donation to help our team keep working.
Continue Reading
The Inner Courtyard of the Presidential Palace in Vilnius
The palace has always been representional: rulers, kings, emperors and kings-to-be like Napoleon, Stanislaus August Poniatowski, Alexander I, Louis XVIII and others used to stay there on their visits to VilniusThe Soviets turned the palace into an officer's club later to be converted into Artist HouseIn 1939, when Vilnius had been part of Lithuania, plans to settle the Presidency in the palace were advanced. However, it was not until 1997 that these plans were carried outAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020[wpedon id="1558" align="left"]
Continue Reading
Photo Slider Old Town in Vilnius: Vilnius University and Monastery Quarter
All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic
Continue Reading
Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
Grand Duke Gediminas is considered as the founder of the city of Vilnius. The monument is located in front of the Royal Palace and Cathedral Basilica in the very downtown of VilniusGediminas was a diplomatic politician, creating ties with the Roman Pope and other European rulers. He created favourable conditions for merchants and guildsmen to come to the city. Gediminas was a Grand Duke of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania from 1316 to 1341During the time of Gediminas, people of different ethnicities and confessions began to live in Vilnius. He is the founder of the Gediminian-Jagelonian ruling dynasty of Lithuania and later of Poland as well (till 1572)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
House-Monument with Gothic Façade
A former Gothic façade that was uncovered at Karmelitų Str. around Rūdninkų Square in the Old Town of VilniusThe back-side façade from the inner courtyardThe back-side façade from the inner courtyard. The house is located on the territory of WWII Large Jewish Ghetto All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020[wpedon id="1558" align="left"]
Continue Reading
Church of St. Archangel Raphael
The church is an elegant late Baroque monument built-in 1702-1730. It is made even more attractive by an asymmetrical monastery ensemble in 1713-1730The towers date from the mid-18th century. They end in rococo domes with lanterns Both the church and the monastery belonged to the Jesuit Order. The monastery was intended for the Jesuit monks with 10 years of service experience seeking to become professed Jesiuts, i.e., to make the last ceremonial vowes All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Stiklų St. in the Old Town in Vilnius
End of Stiklų St. on the intersection with Dominikonų St. and Šv. Ignoto St. in the Old Town in VilniusIn Stiklų St. No. 4 stands a typical building with a so-called Courtyard of the Printing House. Its history goes back to the 15th century. In the 16th century it held the Mamonichi printing house. A Gothic building in the courtyard with the exterior and fragments of the interior was reconstructed in 1974. In front of it a sculpture of "The Chronicler" is erected in 1973Wall (right) of the former Russian Orthodox church in Stiklų St. No. 17All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020[wpedon id="1558" align="left"]
Continue Reading
Tower St. in Vilnius
The fortifications at the top of Tower St. have been restored and today form the Bastion Museum of the original early 17th century BarbecanA view from Tower St. on St. Casimir church (early 17th century Baroque style)Tower St. with the building of the former Augustine monastery (left)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020[wpedon id="1558" align="left"]
Continue Reading
St. John Steet in Vilnius
In this street, it was used to be a market place where it meets Pilies street. The first Town Hall is also believed to have stood on this spot Pharmacy house in St. John St. No. 5. Georg Schulz's pharmacy operated in this house since 1639. During the war in 1655, the house was burned down. In 1781, pharmacist Koszyk acquired the ruined building and reconstructed it The Pac estate. Since 1628, the building belonged to the Pac magnate family of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1783, the dilapidated building was bought, renovated and decorated by the Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania - Alexander Michael Sapieha. Currently, the building belongs to the Polish Embassy All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020[wpedon id="1558" align="left"]
Continue Reading
Gothic Brick Architecture in Vilnius: Pilies (Castle) Str.
There were formerly two separate Gothic houses. Both were built before 1514 and belonged to clergy, goldsmiths, a surgeon and pharmacists. During the 1655-1661 war with Russia they were damaged and handed over to the capitulary of the Cathedral, which had them rebuilt in the Baroque styleThe building were severely damaged during the Second World War and renovated in 1957-1960Decorative Gothic façades and cylindrical vaults in the basement and on the ground floor have been reconstructed All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Presidential Palace
The main façade of the Presidential Palace (Prezidentura) in Vilnius at Simonas Daukantas SquareThe presidential coat-of-arms is adorning the entrance to the President's Chancellery on University StreetThe Inner Courtyard of the Presidential Palace - the palace of the President of the Republic of Lithuania since 1997All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Bastion of the Vilnius Defensive Wall (III)
The Observatory Courtyard of the Vilnius University
The Belfry of the Cathedral Basilica in Vilnius
Alumnatas Courtyard
Chodkiewicz Palace – Vilnius Picture Gallery & Lithuanian Art Museum
The Defensive Wall of Vilnius
The Hill of Three Crosses
Church of the Holy Cross & former Hospitaller Monastery
Słuszki Estate in Vilnius
Lithuania – Geographical Center of Europe
The Inner Courtyard of the Presidential Palace in Vilnius
Photo Slider Old Town in Vilnius: Vilnius University and Monastery Quarter
Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
House-Monument with Gothic Façade
Church of St. Archangel Raphael
Stiklų St. in the Old Town in Vilnius
Tower St. in Vilnius
St. John Steet in Vilnius
Gothic Brick Architecture in Vilnius: Pilies (Castle) Str.
Presidential Palace
Share
Tags: , , ,