ARCHIVES CALENDAR

July 2020
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

HEADLINES

MOST POPULAR POSTS

TWITTER

TAG CLOUD

FEATURES

CATEGORIES OF THE POSTS

FOLLOW US

RSS
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram
VK

ARCHIVES OF THE POSTS

STATISTICS

  • 34
  • 15
  • 30
  • 13
  • 481
  • 3,465
  • 55,108
  • 6,403,903
  • 116,923
  • 116
  • 6
  • 2020-06-11

Karaites of New Trakai



Hits: 132

Kybyn (pl. Kybynlar) is the most popular Karaite dish in Lithuania, which is a roll made of leavened dough in the shape of a half-moon, whithlamb and beef inside

A Karaite wooden house with its back stickling out into the street because of a lack of room, and always with three windows – one for God, one for Vytautas, and one for a guest

A Karaime hiuse in New Trakai


All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic

© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018

RELATED POSTS
Jonas Basanavičius Monument in Vilnius
A monument to dr. Jonas Basanavičius in Vilnius in front of the building of the Lithuanian National PhilharmonicDr. Jonas Basanavičius chaired the session of Lithuanian Council that adopted the Act of Independence of Lithuania on 1918-02-16. He was the first to sign the Act of the Proclamation of the Lithuanian IndependenceBalancing between Lithuanian and Polish interests, he refused to participate in the opening of the Polish Stefan Batory University (today Vilnius University)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Church of St. George the Martyr
The church was originally Gothic but in 1750-1755 it was restored according to design by Franz Ignatius Hoffer and acquired some late Baroque and Rococo featuresNearby the church building stand the 17th-18th-century buildings of the Carmelite Monastery which had a rich archive and library. A study centre opereted there. In 1797-1944 it housed the Ecclesiastical Seminary  Today the buildings are used by the Centre for Book Research and Libraries, and the church is closed to the publicAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Belfry of the Cathedral Basilica in Vilnius
Its foundations are superimposed on the remains of a square tower, one of the oldest brick buildings in Lithuania, whose bricks are bound in the pre-Cothis (Baltic) manner An oval four-story tower with loopholes was built on these remains. Originally, it was a defensive tower of the Lower CastleThe underground square part dates from the 13th century, and the round part - from the late 14th century All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
New Trakai – The City Established on Islands
New Trakai was established on islands or groups of islands, because it was ideal for defensive purposesThe various parts of the city were connected into a whole by summer and winter roads. In the summer, the city was long, while in the winter it was circularNew Trakai was protected in particular because of its importance. Its defensive complex was finished at the end of the 14th century. It was comprised of the Peninsula and Island CastlesAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Lakes of Trakai
New Trakai is one of Lithuania's loveliest towns. It stretches out along a narrow peninsula between lakes, and it is a frequent destination for Vilnius residents, and visitors from abroad The largest lakes, such as Galvė, Skaistis, Bernardinai, and Totoriškės are connected together. Lake salmon breed in Lake AkmenaThe Trakai Historical National Park was included in the preliminary UNESCO World Heritage List in 2003. Trakai was Lithuania's second capital in Middle Ages. Its time of glory began under Grand Duke Vytautas the Great, who strengthened the Peninsula Castle, and built the most famous monument of Lithuania's ancient history - the Island CastleAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Residential Palace at Trakai Island Castle
If you go through the gates of the dungeon you find yourself in a small inner courtyard paved with stones. It is surrounded in a circle by a two-story wooden galleryThe Trakai History Museum was established in the castle in 1962. There are today total of 16 exhibition hallsWhen enemies attacked, the wooden galleries were burned, which made it more difficult to get into the palaceAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Church of St. Anne
Church of St. Anne (left) and Bernardine Church (right)St. Anne Church, designed in 1495-1500 by Benedikt Rejt, built up at the turn of the 15th century, and renovated in 1902-1909. The façade was reinforced in 1960-1970St. Anne Church - a church which French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte wanted to put on his palm and carry it over to Paris All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania
The Royal Palace of Lithuania (the Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania) is a part of the complex of buildings of the Lower Castle in VilniusThe entrance gate to the palaceInner courtyard of the Royal PalaceAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Simonas Daukantas Courtyard at Vilnius University Old Campus
Simonas Daukantas was one of the first authors to start forming the concept of an ethnic Lithuanian nation and its cultural history The larger part of the premises in this courtyard belongs to the Faculty of Philology. The Institute of Foreign Languages is located here too "Domus Philologiae" with the lobby of Muses on the first floor of the east wing is decorated by a fresco created by Rimtautas Gibavičius in 1969 All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic © Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
The Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences was established in 1941 together with the Academy of Sciences, in the building of the former State Wróblewski LibraryBetween two world wars, State Wróblewski Library was one of the largest libraries in Vilnius. It was founded by lower Tadeusz Wróblewski. In 1941, the new Library inherited from it some 163.000 volumes, more than 35.000 manuscripts, large collections of numismatics, cartography, and artworksAfter WWII, the Library was supplemented by extensive collections from other libraries. Today, its stocks count more than 3.77 mln itemsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Lithuania – Geographical Center of Europe
A geographical centre of Europe - 25 km far from Vilnius. From 2015 Summer You will get a special Certificate that you have visited the Geographical center of Europe. Don't miss the chance to get it for freeThe Baltic States of Europe - Estonia, Latvia & LithuaniaVytis (The Knight) - The Coat of Arm of both historical Grand Duchy of Lithuania and present-day the Republic of LithuaniaOrigins of images: Facebook, Twitter, Wikimedia, Wikipedia, Flickr, Google, Imageinjection & Pinterest.Read our Disclaimer/Legal Statement!Donate to Support UsWe would like to ask you to consider a small donation to help our team keep working.
Continue Reading
Napoleon’s Grande Armée in New Trakai in 1812
A plate devoted to Napoleon's Army in New Trakai in 1812A plate devoted to Napoleon's Army in New Trakai in 1812A plate devoted to Napoleon's Army in New Trakai in 1812All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Vilnius University Est. 1579
The Old Campus in the Old town - Rectorate buildingThe Old Campus in the Old town - Rector's Office and former Astronomical Observatory building (right) and the Central Library building (left) with the Central Library Courtyard in front of the buildingsThe History Facutly building (left) and the Central Library building (right) with the arched gates to Mikalojus Dukša Courtyard (left) and Mathias Casimir Sarbievius Courtyard (forward)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Bailey of Trakai Island Castle
Trakai Island Castle is comprised of two parts - the bailey (grand courtyard of the lower part of the castle) and residential palace (upper part of the castle), which is divided by a canal, which at the time was filled with lake waterIn bailey lived the castle's garrison, which was for defending. The courtyard was used for general purposes The bailey of Trakai Island Castle has four defensive towers including gate towerAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
Grand Duke Gediminas is considered as the founder of the city of VilniusGediminas was a diplomatic politician, creating ties with the Roman Pope and other European rulers. He created favourable conditions for merchants and guildsmen to come to the cityDuring the time of Gediminas, people of different ethnicities and confessions began to live in VilniusAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Kenessa of Vilnius – Karaite sanctuary
The architect Michail Prozorov designed the rectangular building with three-walled apse according to the requirements of Karaim liturgyThe oriental-style exterior has a protruding central part and the onion-shaped dome over it. The distinctive exterior of the building emphasises its unique purposeIn 1949, the Kenessa, along with many other sacral buildings, was nationalized and closed down. In 1988, it was returned to the Karaim community. In 1993, it was re-consecrated and has remained open sinceAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Karaite Ethnographic Exhibition in New Trakai
The exhibition displays a collection of everyday articles, art, weapons, and documents, with a majority of the objects from the personal collection of Seraya Shapshal Near the museum's entrance, there is a memorial plaque to Seraya Shapshal, the founder of the museum and spiritual leader (Gahan) of the KaraitesSeraya Shapshal, the Gahan, was the last great spiritual leader of the KaraitesAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Karaite Kenessa in New Trakai
The present building of the Karaites Kenessa is reconstructed at the beginning of the 20th century based on a design of the Russian architect Mihkail ProzorovThe Kenessa of New Trakai is small and almost rectangular in shape. The first floor is for mailes, and the balcony is for women. The cupola is covered with wooden planks painted blue There is a facet for washing your hands near the entrance. The services are held in Hebrew and the local dialect of Karaite languageAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
A School of Karaites in New Trakai
The school of Trakai Karaims is located in Karaim Str. in the Old Town of New TrakaiToday, there are some 300 Karaims left in Lithuania, though other Karaim communities can be found in Istanbul, Cairo, and Jerusalem Karaites have made a clear mark on life in New Trakai. Their Kenessa and school are still standing and the main street in the Old Town of Trakai is called Karaim Str.All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Water-Sport Facilities of The Trakai Historical National Park’s Lakes
The largest lakes, such as Galvė, Skaistis, Bernardinai (Luka), and Totoriškės are connected together. All of them are offering great facilities for all kinds of water-sports on the lakesThe Trakai Rowing Museum has display objects from the beginning of the rowing sport in the mid-19th century up to the present, including championship trophies and prizes, and also a 19th-century sporting boatIn New Trakai exists Varnikai Botanical-Zoological Reserve Nature Trail All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Jonas Basanavičius Monument in Vilnius
The Church of St. George the Martyr
The Belfry of the Cathedral Basilica in Vilnius
New Trakai – The City Established on Islands
Lakes of Trakai
Residential Palace at Trakai Island Castle
Church of St. Anne
The Palace of the Grand Dukes of Lithuania
Simonas Daukantas Courtyard at Vilnius University Old Campus
The Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
Lithuania – Geographical Center of Europe
Napoleon’s Grande Armée in New Trakai in 1812
Vilnius University Est. 1579
Bailey of Trakai Island Castle
Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas
The Kenessa of Vilnius – Karaite sanctuary
Karaite Ethnographic Exhibition in New Trakai
Karaite Kenessa in New Trakai
A School of Karaites in New Trakai
Water-Sport Facilities of The Trakai Historical National Park’s Lakes
Share
Tags: , , ,