Press "Enter" to skip to content

HISTORICAL VILNIUS & TRAKAI

Evangelical Lutheran Church

The church was established in 1555 and was visited not only by the German merchants in Vilnius living around the Town Hall, but other inhabitants that had converted to Lutheranism used the Lutheran school, library, hospital, pharmacy, kindergarten, and homes for the elderly and orphans [...]

Vilnius Old Town Hall

The current Classicist Town Hall was designed by Vilnius Classicist architect Laurinas Gucevičius in 1785-1799 after the demolition in 1781 [...]

Jewish Quarter (I)

Vilnius was called Jerusalem of the North since the mid-18th century till WWII. Before 1941, around 60.000 (1/3 of Vilnius population) Jews lived in the small, narrow streets, including artisans and merchants, who supplied products to the city and surrounding areas [...]

Courtyard of the Medical Collegium

Romantic poet Juliusz Słowacki lived in this house in the courtyard with breaks from 1811 to 1829. After entering the yard, you can see a memorial plaque and a bust of the writer on the wings of a swan on the wall on your left side [...]

Bailey of Trakai Island Castle

Baily (courtyard) of Trakai Island Castle. The castle was built from the beginning of the 14th century to the beginning of the 15th century on three islands: swampy areas were filled with rock and gravel in order to create one single island [...]

King Mindaugas Monument

Mindaugas was the only King of Lithuania from 1253 to 1263, a ruler who created Lithuania's statehood. The monument to him is erected in 2003 in front of New Arsenal that is today transformed into Lithuanian National Museum. The author is sculptor Regimantas Midvikis [...]

Karaites of New Trakai

Upon returning from battle in the Crimea, Lithuanian Grand Duke Vytautas settled the Karaites, both soldiers, and civilians (a total of 383 families) in a free area of the town of New Trakai between the two castles (the Peninsula Castle and the Island Castle) in 1398 [...]

Lithuanian National Museum (New Arsenal) and a Monument to King Mindaugas

Lithuanian National Museum (history & ethnology) is housed in the reconstructed 18-century building of the so-called New Arsenal. It holds the most important archaeological, historical, and ethnic cultural collections of Lithuania that cover Lithuania's history from the Stone Age to the present-day. In front of the building is a monument to King Mindaugas [...]

Share