ARCHIVES CALENDAR

June 2020
M T W T F S S
« May    
1234567
891011121314
15161718192021
22232425262728
2930  

HEADLINES

MOST POPULAR POSTS

TWITTER

TAG CLOUD

FEATURES

CATEGORIES OF THE POSTS

FOLLOW US

RSS
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram
VK

ARCHIVES OF THE POSTS

STATISTICS

  • 37
  • 9
  • 105
  • 24
  • 1,435
  • 4,274
  • 52,170
  • 6,400,291
  • 115,951
  • 113
  • 6
  • 2020-05-23

Church of St. Francis and St. Bernardine



Hits: 25

The main façade of the church includes two small towers, while further there is an octagonal bell tower, and a tympanum adorned with wavy Baroque contours

The church is large, with a length of 42,2 m, area of 24 m, and height of 19 m. Many famous Lithuanian-Polish nobles are buried in the church

The church had a defensive role, which was typical of the churches of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. The church was possessing four towers and a gallery with firing openings under the roof


All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic

© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020

RELATED POSTS
Church of St. Anne (Interior)
The organ is located under the surviving rib vaultsAn image of St. Anne is located on the main altarThe rib vaultsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Church of St. Francis and St. Bernardine (Interior)
The main altar with Late Baroque forms, made from dark woodInterior of Church of St. Francis and St. BernardineWhile restoring the church, one of the largest mural paintings from the Late Gothic and Renaissance periods was discovered. They depict scenes from the Bible, Franciscan legends and symbolic imagesAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Church of St. Bartholomew
The Church of St. Bartholomew is located behind the gate, in a courtyard, in the district of Užupis in Vilnius across Vilnia River. Probably, the church is smallest in VilniusThe first wooden church on this place was built up in the mid-17th century but soon was burned down and in 1788 was replaced by a Classical brick one. The church acquired its present-day form at the end of the 19th centyry when the tower was addedDuring the 1794 uprising, the church was damaged and rebuilt as late as 1824 in the eclectic style. A belfry was erected in 1881All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Church of St. Anne
Church of St. Anne (left) and Bernardine Church (right)St. Anne Church, designed in 1495-1500 by Benedikt Rejt, built up at the turn of the 15th century, and renovated in 1902-1909. The façade was reinforced in 1960-1970St. Anne Church - a church which French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte wanted to put on his palm and carry it over to Paris All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Church of St. Anne (Interior)
Church of St. Francis and St. Bernardine (Interior)
Church of St. Bartholomew
Church of St. Anne
Share
Tags: , , ,