Lithuanian Grand Dukes Švitrigaila and Žygimantas Kęstutaitis resided in the Trakai Peninsula Castle. The first castle was made of wood. Later it was made with brick and had 10 defensive towers that were joined by a wall that was 10 meters high
In 1655 during wars with Russia and Sweden, the Trakai Peninsula Castle was destroyed and not rebuilt
A few sections of the wall survived, while the southern tower of the Trakai Peninsula Castle was rebuilt. Medieval fairs were held in the courtyard
All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic
Tour № 1 – Vytauto StreetTrakai Russian Orthodox Church of the Nativity of the Most Blessed Virgin MaryTrakai Roman Catholic Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary with the painting of Trakai MadonaStatue (poleshrine) of St. John NepomukOld market placeOld post officeTour № 2 – Karaimų StreetTrakai Peninsula Castle and Sacral Art ExhibitionTrakai History MuseumKaraim Guest House established in a restored Karaim wooden houseKaraim (Karaite) Ethnographic ExhibitionKaraim Kenessa (praying house)Karaim schoolOld Karaim wooden housesInformation center with Lithuanian traditional art exhibitionOld Karaim CemeteryTour № 3 – Trakai Island CastleWalking tour around the castleEntrance tower gateThe Lower CastleBailey (Grand courtyard)Exhibition in the Lower CastleDungeon (donjon) towerDrawbridgeCanalThe Upper CastleGrand Ducal residenceExhibition in the Upper CastleWooden galleriesOld bricks of various shapes used in building the castleKaraim and Tartar exhibitionThe Grand HallTour № 4 – Užutrakis Manor Estate and ParkPalacePavilionsFormer carriage houseFormer granary and current information centrePondsSculpturesGreat BridgeSmall BridgePromenadeLake terraceGrottoFormer house of the ...