Views: 1295
Tour № 1 – Šventaragis Valley

- Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus & St. Vladislaus
- Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus & St. Vladislaus (inside, including the Chapel of St. Casimir, the Chapel of Deportees, the Gasztołd Chapel, the Royal Chapel, St. Wladislaw/Vladislaus/Ladislav Chapel, High alter, Memorial plague to the Grand Duke of Lithuania Vytautas Magnus, the Sapieha Madona’s picture, etc)
- Cathedral Basilica Bell Tower
- Royal Palace of Lithuania (the Palace of Grand Dukes of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania)
- Upper Castle
- Upper Castle’s West (Gediminas) Tower
- Old Arsenal – Museum of Applied Art
- New Arsenal – Lithuanian National Museum
- Monument to King Mindaugas (1236-1263: Crowned King on July 6th, 1253)
- Monument to Lithuanian Grand Duke Gediminas (1316-1341: the founder of Gediminian-Jagiellonian ruling dynasty)
Tour № 2 – Vilnius University & Monastery Quarter

- Vilnius University – Historical Campus (est. 1579)
- Vilnius University – the Bronze door of the Central Library
- Vilnius University – Historical Campus (inside, including 12 university’s courtyards, Domus Philologiae, Smuglevičius Hall, White (Observatory) Hall, Lelewel Hall, Lithuanian Philology Centre, etc)
- Vilnius University – Science Museum
- St. Johns’ Church in the Great (Skarga) university’s Courtyard
- St. Johns’ Church in the Great (Skarga) university’s Courtyard (inside, including Great alter, Altar of Maria of Loretto, Chapel of St. Anne, Altar of St. Victorino, Organ, several memorial plagues and frescos, etc)
- St. Johns’ Church in the Great (Skarga) university’s Courtyard – Bell Tower
- Dominican Street
- University Street
- St. John Street
- Church of the Holy Cross and former Hospitaller Monastery
- Monument to Laurinas Gucevičius (1753-1798)
- Presidential Palace (Prezidentura)
- Alumni (Alumnatas) Courtyard
- Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
- Church of the Holy Spirit and former Dominican Monastery
- St. Ignatius Church and former Jesuit novitiate
- Plaque for Righteous Among the Nations
- Monument to Stanislaw Moniuszko (1819-1872)
- St. Catherine’s Church and former Benedictine Monastery
Tour № 3 – From the Cathedral Basilica to Town Hall Square

- Buildings of Pilies Street
- House of the Signatories
- Marija and Jurgis Šlapelis House Museum
- Paraskeva Russian Orthodox Church
- Pilies Street souvenir open market – What should you buy in Vilnius
- Buildings of Didžioji (Great) Street
- Vilnius Picture Gallery (Chodkiewicz Palace)
- Stendhal House
- Nicholas Russian Orthodox Church
- Historical Town Hall
- Buildings around the Square of Historical Town Hall
- Former printing house of Francysk Skaryna (1486-1551) – the Magistrate House
- Buildings of Savičiaus Street
- Mikalojus Konstantinas Čiurlionis’ (1875-1911) Memorial Flat Museum
- Church of Blessed Mary the Comforter and the Augustine Monastery
- Kazys Varnelis’ (1917-2010) House Museum – Great and Small Guilds
- Casimir Church
- Buildings of Subačius Street
- Bastion – an artillery fortification
- Church of the Assumption and former Missionary Monastery
Tour № 4 – Quarter of Three Confessions

- Buildings of Aušros Street
- Radisson SAS Astorijos Hotel (former Italia hotel)
- Building of National Philharmonic
- Monument to Jonas Basanavičius (1851-1927) on the square in front of National Philharmonic
- Memorial plaque to Ignacy Domeyko (1802-1889)
- Baroque gate to Uniate Church of the Holy Trinity and former Basilian Monastery
- Uniate Church of the Holy Trinity and former Basilian Monastery
- Memorial plaque to Josaphat Kuncevic (St. Josaphat, 1580-1623)
- Memorial plaque on the building of former Basilian Monastery where Adam Mickiewicz (1798-1855) was imprisoned
- Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Spirit and monastery
- Russian Orthodox Church of the Holy Spirit (inside, including the remains of the Three Vilnius Martyrs kept under a wooden canopy in front of the iconostasis)
- Church of St. Teresa (of Ávila, Spain) and former Carmelite Monastery
- Church of St. Teresa (of Ávila, Spain) (inside, including the church’s mural paintings, the Chapel of Pac’s family’s mausoleum, impressive, gently-curved church’s pulpit and the altar)
- Chapel of the Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate)
- The sacred picture of the Holy Virgin Mary in the Chapel of the Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate)
- Votive objects in the Chapel of the Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate)
- The Gate of Dawn (Medininkų Gate) from the southern side with a Renaissance composition of Vytis
Tour № 5 – Jewish Quarter
- Small and Large Vilnius Jewish Ghettos
- Monument to the Vilna Gaon
- Mark Antokolski (1840-1902) House
- Former Mattityahu Strashun (1817-1885) Jewish Library
- Vokiečių gatvė (German Street)
- Contemporary Art Centre
- „Barbara“ sculpture
- Monument in remembrance of Vilnius Ghetto martyrs and fighters in 1941-1943
- Church of St. Nicholas
- A sculpture of Vilnius Patron Saint Christopher in the yard of the Church of St. Nicholas
- Evangelical Lutheran Church
- Amatų gildija (Artisan guild) open ceramic workshop and gallery
- Former Vilnius ghetto theatre 1941-1943
- Former Gothic façade at Karmelitų gatvę (Carmelite Street)
- Closed courtyards with open galleries, characteristic of Old Town architecture
- Church of All Saints and former Carmelite Monastery
- A section of Vilnius historical defensive wall
- The sculpture named „Egg“
- Monument to Tzemach Shabad (1864-1935)
- Choral Synagogue
- Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin Mary and former Franciscan Monastery
- Sculpture of the Holy Virgin Mary (The White Mother of God)
- Suzin’s built Baroque-style family mausoleum chapel
- A monument to Jozef Montwiłł (1850-1911)

Tour № 6 – Bends of the River Vilnia
- Adam Mickiewicz’s Memorial Flat Museum
- Church of St. Anne
- Church of St. Francis and St. Bernardine
- Chapel of the Holy Steps
- Monument to Adam Mickiewicz
- Church of St. Michael the Archangel
- Adam Mickiewitz’s House
- Sereikiškių Park
- Amber Museum
- Russian Orthodox Church of the Blessed Mother of God
- „Angel of Užupis“ sculpture
- Constitution of the „Republic of Užupis“
- Church of St. Bartholomew
- Bernardinų Cemetery

Tour № 7 – City Centre
- Three Crosses Monument on the Three Crosses Hill
- Church of St. Peter and St. Paul
- Petras Vileišis Estate
- Tuskulėnų Park with columbarium
- A building of Lithuanian Energy
- A building of Lithuanian Theatre, Music and Film (A Small Radziwiłł Palace)
- A Great Radziwiłł Palace
- Vilna Gaon Jewish State Museum
- Sculpture or Roman Gary
- A monument to Frank Zappa
- Museum of Genocide Victims (former KGB Headquarters)
- A plaque to Chiune Sugihara
All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic
© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018

RELATED POSTS
The church was built on the north side of the Lukiškių Square in 1624. However, the present building dates from the late 17th-18th cent.It is a single-nave Baroque church with cylindrical vaults. An image of the miraculous painting of the 18th century high altar occupies the niche above the porticoThe niches hold wooden 18th cent. statues of St. Hyacinth and St. Dominic. During the Soviet times there were designs to demolish the church but it did not ever happenAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
At the egde of Vingio Park, stands a Classical chapel built by Governor Nikolai Repnin for his wife in 1799-1800Behind the chapel, one can find the restored graves of the German, Russian, Polish, Turkish and Austro-Hungarian soldiers killed in both world wars A monument to the soldiers of the Central Powers killed in WWI in Vingio ParkAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The church was originally Gothic but in 1750-1755 it was restored according to design by Franz Ignatius Hoffer and acquired some late Baroque and Rococo featuresNearby the church building stand the 17th-18th-century buildings of the Carmelite Monastery which had a rich archive and library. A study centre opereted there. In 1797-1944 it housed the Ecclesiastical Seminary Today the buildings are used by the Centre for Book Research and Libraries, and the church is closed to the publicAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
One of the Latin inscriptions: "This house is that of Urania: be gone profane worries! Here the humble Earth is scorned: from here one rises to the stars"Here it was a Jesuit pharmacy. Medical herbs were grown in the courtyardThe buildings of the Observatory Courtyard are the oldest in the university ensembleAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Upper Caste's Gediminas Tower (14th century) with the Royal Palace of Lithuania (the Palace of Grand Dukes of Lithuania, 16th century). Today, it houses a museum and an observation deck from which it can be seen a beautiful panorama of the city from the 75 m. high perchThe museum exposition features plans of castlereconstruction as well as armamentsGediminas Tower with the Lithuanian tricolor flag became a symbol of Lithuania. Gediminas Tower is a Western tower of the Higher Castle of Vilnius with an octagonal plan, stone foundations, and mainly brick walls built in the Gothic mannerAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The church was named after St. Nicholas, who was the Bishop of Myra and the patron of travelers and merchants. The character of Santa Claus is thought to be based on this saintThe Church of St. Nicholas in Vilnius is the oldest surviving Late Gothic church in Lithuania. The small church was used by the Franciscan monks, who lived nearbyThe interior of the church is decorated with ornate rib and groin vaults. A 16th-century picture of St. Nicholas with a silver frame is located on the left altarAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Church of the Assumption is one of the Vilnius' most beautiful Baroque churches and most mature building of the Vilnius' Baroque schoolConstruction on the church began in 1695 and the final work was carried out by Vilnius' Baroque architect Johann Christoph Glaubitz (1700-1767) in 1750-1756The front façade is adorned by a domical rotunda vestibule, and two elegant towers with clocks All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
The life and work of Dr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis reflects the life of the region of Vilnius from the second half of the 19th century to 1940. Both of them have been cultural figures in Lithuania. Marija was actress. They published Lithuanian books that were banned at that timeDr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis owned the only Lithuanian language bookstore in Vilnius during 1906-1949. The Šlapelis family bought the house in 1926. Before, it was a goldsmith's workshops, and later housed a small holet called the Hotel de Philadelphie, and a wine shop The building is an example of the 17-th century architecture. Dr. Jurgis died in 1941, and Marija in 1977 at the age of 97. After WWII, the house was nationalised, and, therefore, Marija Šlapelis was forced to live in two small rooms upstairs, with the only access to them through another person's quarters. Marija stipulated in her ...
Continue Reading
The present church was built in the late 17th century, after its predecessor was burnt down in the 1655 during the war with Russia. The church was completed only in the middle of the 18th century The nave is 24 metres high, making it the tallest in Vilnius; and its length is the same, with accounts for its concentrated appearance when viewed from the sideIn the north tower is a particularly ornate chapel, dedicated to the Dominican St. Hyacinth, with frescoes depicting scenes from his life. The fresco above the entrance depicts the Virgin Mary and Angels. The church was returned to the Dominicans in 1993All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Užupio street is the main street in the city's district of Užupis. The district was in the Soviet time one of the most dilapidated districts in Vilnius. Many of the buildings did not have electricity and sanitary facilities, and the streets were unlitThe River Užupis which separates Užupis district from the Old Town. On one side of the river is a unique ensemble of sacred buildings and a park, while on the other side is "Republic of Užupis", where a number of artists live and work"Angel of Užupis" sculpture. An angel is playing a trumpet that provides ideas about Užupis to others and protects the district. The 24th Article of the Constitution of Užupis, for instance, says that "Everyone has the right to understand nothing". The district is separated from the Old Town by the River Vilnia on three sides, and by a high hill on the fourth sideAll photos ...
Continue Reading
The church was financed by Grand Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Grand Hetman, and Vilnius Voivode - Lew Sapieha, who had converted to Roman Catholicism from Calvinism. He was one of the most influential nobles in the Grand Duchy of LithuaniaLew Sapieha gave the church and surrounding buildings for the Bernardine nuns to have a convent and built a Sapieha family mausoleum in the churchThe convent was also a place where the daughters of rich aristocrats were taught. Today, the Church Heritage Museum operates in the churchAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
In 1780, Vilnius Bishop Ignacy Massalski settled in Verkiai. He commissioned Lithuanian architect Laurynas Gucevičius to reconstruct an earlier palace. The general plan and maintenance buildings were designed by Lithuanian architect Martin KnackfussThe ensemble encompasses the park of 36 ha. Situated on two terraces, the park consisted of two parts - the upper and the great park. A view of Vilnius and the Neris River is exposed from a steep slopeSince 1960 the ensemble belongs to the Lithuanian Academy of Science and is gradually renovatedAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2021
Continue Reading
Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus and St. Vladislaus in Vilnius. Today the Cathedral Basilica is in the Classicist style as it was redisigned in 1783-1801 by Lithuanian architect Laurynas Gucevičius Baroque-style Cathedral's St. Casimir's Chapel built in 1610-1632 for holding the remains of St. Casimir (declared in 1604 by Pope Clemens VIII as the saint Cathedral Basilica Bell Tower. It is rebuilt tower that was part of the defensive wall that encircled the Lower CastleSaveAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
It was built from 1633 to 1654 under the patronage of the Vice-Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania, Stephen Pac. Most probably the exterior was designed by Italian Constantino Tencalla. The exterior of the Church of St. Theresa is designed according to the models of Roman architecture: it is noble and harmonious, built along with the vertical principle with volutes and side obelisksThe St. Theresa Church (left) is located at Dawn St. nearby the Gate of Dawn (at the top) that is famous for its miraculous image of the Mother of Mercy (or Mary of Vilnius)The chapel is built by the Barefoot Carmelite monks for the miraculous picture of Mary of Vilnius in 1671. The St. Theresa Church was built with a large Barefoot Carmelite Monastery, established near Vilnius' defensive wall All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The church and Vilnius Calvary are an expression of gratitude to God for the liberation in 1661 of Lithuania from the Russian EmpireIt is the second oldest and once the most famous Calvary in Lithuania, revered by pilgrims and processions of believersThe late Baroque church was rebuilt in the 18th century. The central nave is decorated with 18th century mural paintings, the sacristy - with 18th century stucco relief worksAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2021
Continue Reading
In 1986 the east winf of the Old Arsenal was restored. It houses the Museum of Applied Art and Design. The Old Arsenal enables the visitors to feel the ambience of the Renaissance Vilnius The building of the Old Arsenal was remodelled by Sigismund Augustus (second half of the 16th century) in the Renaissance style, mainly by adding a third floor (the attic), decorated in double arch niches. In was an enormous building, reputed to be the largest in the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth The Old Arsenal was badly damaged during the war with Russia in 1655-1661, and remained a virtual ruin until the late 18th century when in 1780 was rebuilt and burned down at the end of WWIIAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The church is inconspicuous from the street, as its façade does not face the streetThe 51 meter-tall dome can be seen from seven Old Town streetsThe Dominican Church of the Holy Spirit is one of the most magnificent churches in Vilnius. It is an excellent monument of high and late Baroque All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Wonderful panoramic view can be seen from the roof (platform) of Gediminas Tower (Upper Castle Tower)Despite wars and destructions, the architectural ensemble of Vilnius Old Town remains unique. Baroque domes and towers of Vilnius Old Town coexist with an irregular medieval city plan Vilnius Old Town is lacking German or Scandinavian features, rather reminiscent of Prague or Rome, Vilnius differs greatly from the other Baltic capitalsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Beside the main house (close to the Antakalnio St.) stands a residential house, in which the first exhibition of Lithuanian art took place in 1907A monument to the brothers Vileišis in Vilnius near the River NerisThe main Vileišis building was one of the first in Vilnius, for whose construction a rare material in Lithuania - concrete - was used. The main house was built in 1904-1906 by the Lithuanian businessman and public figure Petras Vileišis according to a design by engineer August Klein All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Church of St. Anne (left) and Bernardine Church (right). The church of St. Anne is a unique monument of red firebrick Gothic architecture in LithuaniaSt. Anne Church, designed in 1495-1500 by Benedikt Rejt, built up at the turn of the 15th century, and renovated in 1902-1909. 35 different kinds of brick were used help in creating the church. The façade was reinforced in 1960-1970St. Anne Church - a church which French Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte wanted to put on his palm and carry it over to Paris. The Church of St. Anne is symmetrical, marked by graceful, pointed forms that continue upwardAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue ReadingChurch of St. Jacob and Philip (1)
Vingio Park in Vilnius
The Church of St. George the Martyr
The Observatory Courtyard of the Vilnius University
Gediminas Tower
Church of St. Nicholas
Church of the Assumption
The Šlapelis House Museum
Church of St. Jacob and Philip (2)
“Republic of Užupis”
Church of St. Michael the Archangel
The Ensemble of the Verkiai Estate
Cathedral Basilica of St. Stanislaus and St. Vladislaus
Church of St. Theresa and the Monastery of the Barefoot Carmelites
The Calvary Church of the Discovery of the Holy Cross
The Old Arsenal in Vilnius
Church of the Holy Spirit & Former Dominican Monastery (Exterior)
Vilnius Old Town Panoramic View
Vileišis Estate
Church of St. Anne


