ARCHIVES CALENDAR

July 2020
M T W T F S S
« Jun    
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
2728293031  

HEADLINES

MOST POPULAR POSTS

TWITTER

TAG CLOUD

FEATURES

CATEGORIES OF THE POSTS

FOLLOW US

RSS
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
Instagram
VK

ARCHIVES OF THE POSTS

STATISTICS

  • 36
  • 18
  • 59
  • 26
  • 821
  • 3,124
  • 56,044
  • 6,405,208
  • 117,282
  • 118
  • 6
  • 2020-07-11

Church of the Assumption of the Holy Virgin Mary and the Franciscan Monastery



Hits: 177

The church is Gothic, with some Baroque forms that it acquired in the late 18th century

In 1812 the church was partly destroyed by the French army that used it as a granary. Since 1864 the church was closed and converted into an archive

The church adjoins a monastery, the oldest in Lithuania, whose construction began in Gediminas’ times (in 1334)


All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic

© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018

 
RELATED POSTS
Church of the Holy Cross & former Hospitaller Monastery
According to legend, the monastery and wooden church were built circa 1332 in the burial spot of the Franciscan monks that had been martyred by Lithuanian pagansThe building complex is formed in the mid-18th century. Today, the church possess six Late Baroque-style altars, with the main altar having a picture of the Holy Virgin Mary that is considered to be miraculous. A copy of the picture is painted on the façade in 1742 The monument to famous Lithuanian neo-Classicist architect Laurinas Gucevičius, the founder of Vilnius neo-Classicism, is erected in 1994 in the square in front of the church.   All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Church of St. Nicholas
The church was named after St. Nicholas, who was the Bishop of Myra and the patron of travelers and merchants. The character of Santa Claus is thought to be based on this saintThe Church of St. Nicholas in Vilnius is the oldest surviving Late Gothic church in Lithuania. The small church was used by the Franciscan monks, who lived nearbyThe interior of the church is decorated with ornate rib and groin vaults. A 16th-century picture of St. Nicholas with a silver frame is located on the left altarAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Vilnius Old Town Hall
The Town Hall hosted a court, archive, weapons depository, as well as a prison for artisans that had broken the law. Burgomasters also held meetings in the Town Hall, as did the Council of Merchants Since 1991, Vilnius Old Town Hall once again is functioning as a place for holding important events like art exhibitions, concerts, conferences, meetings, etcIn the Middle Ages, the Town Hall Square was a place where physical punishment was carried out. There were gallows and a scaffold nearby, where executions were carried outAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Słuszki Estate in Vilnius
The building was noted for its stately late Baroque appearance. Michelangelo Palloni and Pietro Perti are thought to be the authors of the decorationsNoteworthy is an interesting Baroque pediment with a stucco bas-reliefA courtyard of the estate. Today, the buildings belongs to the Lithuanian Academy of Music and TheatreAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Šlapelis House Museum
The life and work of Dr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis reflects the life of the region of Vilnius from the second half of the 19th century to 1940. Both of them have been cultural figures in Lithuania. Marija was actress. They published Lithuanian books that were banned at that timeDr. Jurgis and Marija Šlapelis owned the only Lithuanian language bookstore in Vilnius during 1906-1949. The Šlapelis family bought the house in 1926. Before, it was a goldsmith's workshops, and later housed a small holet called the Hotel de Philadelphie, and a wine shop The building is an example of the 17-th century architecture. Dr. Jurgis died in 1941, and Marija in 1977 at the age of 97. After WWII, the house was nationalised, and, therefore, Marija Šlapelis was forced to live in two small rooms upstairs, with the only access to them through another person's quarters. Marija stipulated in her ...
Continue Reading
Church of St. Archangel Raphael
The church is an elegant late Baroque monument built-in 1702-1730. It is made even more attractive by an asymmetrical monastery ensemble in 1713-1730The towers date from the mid-18th century. They end in rococo domes with lanterns Both the church and the monastery belonged to the Jesuit Order. The monastery was intended for the Jesuit monks with 10 years of service experience seeking to become professed Jesiuts, i.e., to make the last ceremonial vowes All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Evangelical Lutheran Church
This is the first Evangelical Lutheran Church (Kirche) built-in Vilnius in 1555 on the initiative of the Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania Nicholas Radziwiłł the Black. In front of the church, there is a monument erected to Martin Luther The church was rebuilt in 1662 and substantially reconstructed in 1738-1744. In 1944 it was closed down. In 1993 it was returned to the parishioners and renovatedThe church has a single nave and an original pentagonal shape. Its magnificent high altar was designed by German Protestant architect Jan (Johan) Krzysztof GlaubitzAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
St. John Steet in Vilnius
In this street, it was used to be a market place where it meets Pilies street. The first Town Hall is also believed to have stood on this spot Pharmacy house in St. John St. No. 5. Georg Schulz's pharmacy operated in this house since 1639. During the war in 1655, the house was burned down. In 1781, pharmacist Koszyk acquired the ruined building and reconstructed it The Pac estate. Since 1628, the building belonged to the Pac magnate family of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania. In 1783, the dilapidated building was bought, renovated and decorated by the Chancellor of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania - Alexander Michael Sapieha. Currently, the building belongs to the Polish Embassy All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Church of St. George the Martyr
The church was originally Gothic but in 1750-1755 it was restored according to design by Franz Ignatius Hoffer and acquired some late Baroque and Rococo featuresNearby the church building stand the 17th-18th-century buildings of the Carmelite Monastery which had a rich archive and library. A study centre opereted there. In 1797-1944 it housed the Ecclesiastical Seminary  Today the buildings are used by the Centre for Book Research and Libraries, and the church is closed to the publicAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Kenessa of Vilnius – Karaite sanctuary
The architect Michail Prozorov designed the rectangular building with three-walled apse according to the requirements of Karaim liturgyThe oriental-style exterior has a protruding central part and the onion-shaped dome over it. The distinctive exterior of the building emphasises its unique purposeIn 1949, the Kenessa, along with many other sacral buildings, was nationalized and closed down. In 1988, it was returned to the Karaim community. In 1993, it was re-consecrated and has remained open sinceAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Dominikonų Street in Vilnius
The Górecki estate in Dominikonų St. 15 is a two-storey Gothic house. It was built on this site in the late 15th or early 16th century. In 1649 it was bought by Vilnius UniversityZawisha estate is known since late 16th or early 17th century. It was renovated in the late 18th century. The façade is strictly symmetrical, done in the style of early Classicism. Renaissance vaults have survivedDominikonų Street is dominated by the Roman Catholic Church of the Holy Spirit and the Dominican Monastery (1501)All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Gediminas Tower
Upper Caste's Gediminas Tower (14th century) with the Royal Palace of Lithuania (the Palace of Grand Dukes of Lithuania, 16th century)The museum exposition features plans of castlereconstruction as well as armamentsGediminas Tower with the Lithuanian tricolor flag became a symbol of LithuaniaAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Church of St. Theresa and the Monastery of the Barefoot Carmelites
The exterior of the Church of St. Theresa is designed according to the models of Roman architecture: it is noble and harmonious, built along the vertical principle with volutes and side obelisksThe St. Theresa Church (left) is located at Dawn St. nearby the Gate of Dawn (at the top) that is famous for its miraculous image of the Mother of Mercy (or Mary of Vilnius)The chapel is built by the Barefoot Carmelite monks for the miraculous picture of Mary of Vilnius in 1671. The St. Theresa Church was built with a large Barefoot Carmelite Monastery, established near Vilnius' defensive wall All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
The Defensive Wall of Vilnius
It was not until 1503 when Grand Duke of Lithuania and King of Poland Alexander Jagiellon granted a privilege that the construction of the wall began. The year 1522 is considered to mark the end of the construction, when Grand Duke of Lithuania Sigismund the Old exempted the residents of Vilnius from the duty of keeping guard at the castle and ordered 24 guards to be posted at the city gatesThe length of the defensive wall was 2,5 kilometres having 10 gates. The wall surrounded the territory of today's Old Town, approximatelly 100 hectars. The foundation of the defensive wall was built of stone, and bricks were mainly used at the level of loopholes and higher. The was was adapted for defence with gunpoweder-operated firearms Until the late-18th century, the Vilnius defensive wall was frequently renovated. The wall served for the last time in 1794 during the uprising led by ...
Continue Reading
Sapieha Estate and Park
One of Baroque gates of the Sapieha ParkAmong the surviving details of the palace are Baroque façades with stucco relief works by Pietro Perti and three Baroque gates. The park is the only one in Vilnius Vilnius with features of a regular Baroque park The palace and the gates were decorated with sculptures and frescoes created by masters who had worked in the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul and St. Casimir's Chapel of the Cathedral Basilica in VilniusAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Vilnius
The 17th-century church's façade is modest, however the interior is richly ornate with a number of stucco mouldings The interior was created by the Italians G. P. Perti and G. M. Galli, who decorated it with more than 2,000 stucco mouldings The chandelier was created in 1905 in Riga and represents the Biblical Noah's arkAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2018
Continue Reading
Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania (Inside)
One of the meeting rooms in the library for public lectures, book presentations and discussionsOne of the exibition hallsOne of the Reading RoomsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Flat Museum
This building in Savičiaus Street in Vilnius Old Town acquired its present appearance in the 18th century with the 19th-century façade. Until the mid-19th century, the building was home to Vilnius governors and burgomasters In 1995, on the artist's 120th anniversary, a memorial culture center and the flat museum was opened in this house. The center and museum, today, hosts lectures on music, art, and philosophy, as well as chamber concertsM. K. Čiurlionis created 350 musical pieces and around 500 artworks. When he lived in this house, he created his most remarkable paintingsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2019
Continue Reading
House-Monument with Gothic Façade
A former Gothic façade that was uncovered at Karmelitų Str. around Rūdninkų Square in the Old Town of VilniusThe back-side façade from the inner courtyardThe back-side façade from the inner courtyard. The house is located on the territory of WWII Large Jewish Ghetto All photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
The Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
The Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences was established in 1941 together with the Academy of Sciences, in the building of the former State Wróblewski LibraryBetween two world wars, State Wróblewski Library was one of the largest libraries in Vilnius. It was founded by lower Tadeusz Wróblewski. In 1941, the new Library inherited from it some 163.000 volumes, more than 35.000 manuscripts, large collections of numismatics, cartography, and artworksAfter WWII, the Library was supplemented by extensive collections from other libraries. Today, its stocks count more than 3.77 mln itemsAll photos are copyrighted by Vladislav B. Sotirovic© Vladislav B. Sotirovic 2020
Continue Reading
Church of the Holy Cross & former Hospitaller Monastery
Church of St. Nicholas
Vilnius Old Town Hall
Słuszki Estate in Vilnius
The Šlapelis House Museum
Church of St. Archangel Raphael
Evangelical Lutheran Church
St. John Steet in Vilnius
The Church of St. George the Martyr
The Kenessa of Vilnius – Karaite sanctuary
Dominikonų Street in Vilnius
Gediminas Tower
Church of St. Theresa and the Monastery of the Barefoot Carmelites
The Defensive Wall of Vilnius
Sapieha Estate and Park
Church of St. Peter and St. Paul in Vilnius
Martynas Mažvydas National Library of Lithuania (Inside)
M. K. Čiurlionis Memorial Flat Museum
House-Monument with Gothic Façade
The Wroblewski Library of the Lithuanian Academy of Sciences
Share
Tags: , , ,